Have you been frustrated as you’re not getting many likes and comments on your posts?
Once you’ve checked your hook, caption and image, hashtags, the next thing to check is your call to action.
First off let’s start with what is a Call To Action?
A call to action (or CTA for short) is a phrase, often a question that asks your audience to do something. It helps to get a conversation going.
It needs to be really simple and easy to do, so it doesn’t feel like a barrier, so it can’t be too hard or time-consuming. You don’t want to put them off before you’ve even started to work with them.
Do you include a call to action in ALL of your posts?
Statistically speaking, when you give your audience a call to action your results improve. But it has to be the right CTA.
“A call to action tells someone what you want them to do next.”Marianne Avery @sociallymaz
Here are 25 call to actions to get you started:
Social Media Management
I’ve grouped them into four different types so you can use a good mixture.
#1 Ask a question
- Does this happen to you? How do you manage it?
- Do you agree or disagree with this?
- DM me for more info?
- What are your thoughts on this, let me know in the comments?
- Do you prefer A or B, I have to know!
- Drop me a DM and let’s chat!
- Will you be joining my [insert event name]?
- What is your favourite xyz…?
#2 Encourage them to get someone else involved – by tagging in the comments call to actions
- Share this post / or tag a [inert type] business that would benefit from this
- Share this with a friend who also has…[XYZ issue]
- Tag a business you think could benefit
#3 Asking for engagement call to actions
- Comment below if you agree with me/this
- Why not save this post so you can refer back to it later
- Find my contact details in my bio
- Like and comment below if you….
- Hit the link in my bio to read the blog/ Head to the link in my bio to find out more
- Go to my website/sign up to my newsletter/sign up to my course
- Check out my stories for more info on this
- Double tap if you need to hear this today
#3 Sales call to actions
- “Buy Now” or “Download Now
- Subscribe today so you’ll never miss a post.
- Click the link in my bio/ link in bio
- We answer these questions and more in our FREE download
- Don’t miss out, get your ticket here
- There’s only [x] available so hurry!
Important things to remember when using call to actions:
Remember that a good call to action is going to make it easy for your audience to engage with your content. It can help to give meaning to your content. Even if it’s just a two-word phrase, your audience needs some direction to know what to do next.
Think about using strong action words that provoke some sort of emotion or enthusiasm to take an action!
Here are some key phrases that you can include depending on the type of sector that you work in:
- E-Commerce: View, Order, Buy, Save, Add to Cart
- Charity: Donate, COmmit, Volunteer, Adopt, Support, Give, Share
- Signing up to a newsletter: Subscribe, Join, Sign Up
- Lead Magnet (or Freebie): Get, Grab, Claim, Download
- More generic ones: Click here, Next, Continue, Learn More, See More, Start, See How To, Find Out
Stuck for call to action ideas – here’s a handy tip:
So, have a look at your planned content, think about what you want your audience to do and add a CTA. Have a go and let me know in the comments how you get on.
Three Things to remember with your call to action:
- Your results improve when you use a call to action – so make sure every post and story has one.
- A good call to action makes it really easy for your audience to take your desired action. Remember most people are multi-tasking when they are on social media, so you want to make it as easy as possible.
- Use strong action words that provoke an emotion or generate enthusiasm for whatever it is that you are offering.
by Marianne Avery
Marianne is a social media consultant who works with small businesses to help them navigate the world of social media. To find out more about how Marianne can help you click here.